3.21.2013

Depression was a Blessing. Weird, Right?

Doesn't it sound crazy saying that a huge blessing came when I was at the lowest point in my life? It seems so strange but depression truly has blessed my life in more ways than I ever thought possible. Although there are tons of ways it has helped me, here are my top five:


1. I was never alone. Even when I would sit in my bedroom all day on a Saturday and cry my eyes out, I was never completely alone. I forgot that I could always have the Savior to comfort me. Not only Him, but I had so many friends and family members that were behind me who loved me so much. My instant thought when I wanted to die was that no one would even be phased by my being gone and that was so not true at all! The Savior was always there with me pushing me to keep going. And I'm sure glad that He did!

2. Patience is absolutely essential. There were so many days that I would get so frustrated that I wasn't better that it would actually make my depression worse. If I would've just been a little more patient with the situation I think I could've improved my situation more on my own. Not only that but depression took a LONG time to heal. I thought I would never get better but after developing more patience my situation started to improve. 

3. It's okay to ask for help. This was a huge one for me! I am not one to ask for help. Ever. My mom is the same way. I was just raised in a family where the women just do it all and never need help. When I had depression, I was left with really no choice but to ask for help. There were nights when I'd call one of my best friends just bawling and telling her I needed her right then. Luckily I was extremely blessed and she'd come over right away and hug me. I realize not everyone has that option! But everyone has someone they can ask for help and that is our Savior, Jesus Christ. He will always come to our rescue. It's so humbling to do this but I promise you it is highly effective.

4. Depression really doesn't make any sense. It just doesn't. People would say to me all the time, "Hannah just stop thinking sad and start thinking happier." Depression doesn't work like that. It's not always a choice between being depressed or being happy. And sometimes it just sucks. But with the days that suck there will always be better days ahead. 

5. Always try to look for the good. I read this quote on Pinterest somewhere that says, "It's not a bad life, just a bad day." This thinking is key to getting through depression! There will definitely bad days and bad weeks but it's not a bad life! Amidst all the bad there will ALWAYS be something good. Even if it is just the fact that you have food or clothes. Gratitude won't fix depression but it most definitely helps. 

No comments: