4.08.2013

If Birds Were Made to Fly, Why are You Walking?

The other day I was driving home when I came across five birds just leisurely walking across the street, right in the way of my car. I slammed on my breaks as to save the poor little birds; then I thought to myself, hold on, why am I stopping for birds? They can fly! I stopped anyway & drove off in a huff not giving these birds a second thought.

A couple of days later I was talking to my favorite five-year-old while watching her sister's soccer game. As we were discussing the questions of life according to a child she leaned over to me and asked, "How do you think Jesus made us?" We discussed several ways he could've created us (one of which included individual puzzle pieces) but after giving it some more thought, she said, "Yeah this is kind of hard. Can we be done talking about it?" I giggled and told her we could be done but...

I couldn't get this thought out of my mind. How did Jesus create us? What did He want us to achieve? Continuing to ponder this, I came to the realization that in many ways, Jesus created us to in a figurative sense, fly. And just like the goofy birds I drove past, I often feel that sometimes we take the easy route and decide to just walk, even though we were clearly made to fly.  

Now I'm sure these birds from my previous day's drive could have given me some kind of logical excuse for refusing flight; however, for all intents and purposes of my story, I would venture to guess that these birds simply did not want to fly. Flying was too hard, too exhausting, too much effort. Yet there I was in my car watching these birds with WINGS literally yelling from behind the wheel, 
"Birds! Come on! Just fly!"  

Often I feel that Heavenly Father sees us just walking around through the daily grind of life. I know there are many days where the bare minimum is about all I can muster. But Heavenly Father also knows that we have so much we can achieve if we will just let ourselves fly and take that leap of faith. As Elder Uchtdorf said in General Conference, 
"[Heavenly Father] desires that we rise up and become the person that we are meant to be." 
Even if flying is too hard, too exhausting and to much effort, we can do it. With our Heavenly Father's help and the spreading of our wings, we can do all things. 


Moral of the story: Don't be a walking bird; Let yourself achieve greatness through our 
Heavenly Father, and fly.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Conference weekend! AND 
Look forward to a guest post this coming week!

~Hannah