5.28.2013

"I'd Rather Kill Myself"

Alyson here! We as the Desert Daisies try to keep this a blog full of hope and uplifting messages, but tonight I want to focus on something a little more serious.

As teenagers/young people, we tend to exaggerate. Like, A LOT. We also like to use slang language and phrases that could be offensive such as:
"That's so gay."
"You're retarded."
You know, that kind of stuff.
The phrase I want to talk about is:
 
"I would rather kill myself."
 
I'm pretty sure we've all used this one.
"I have to go sit through a 3 hour math class." "Ugh. I would rather kill myself."
"I would rather kill myself than go on this date."
I could go on and on.
 
The reason I want to bring people's attention to this phrase is because I want to bring back the seriousness of the phrase.
 
According to WebMD, a sign of possible suicide is "talking about ... killing one's self". How are we supposed to know the real from the fake when everyone is talking about it? As a joke?
In every case of a suicide, people are always asking themselves "what could I have done? how did I not see the warning signs?" I think that people are asking these questions because warning signs that used to be so serious are now a part of our everyday language. Let's change the conversation.
 
"I have to go sit through a 3 hour math class." "Ugh. I would rather run full force into a brick wall."
"I would rather chew my own leg off than go on this date."
 
Hope you all had a fantastic holiday :)
 

No comments: