5.20.2013

"Let Me Know If I can Help" Is Never Enough


Being a part of a religious community where service is so highly emphasized, it seems as if people around me are constantly wanting to serve and help others. As great as it is that my neighbors and friends want to serve, I'm sure you'd agree with me in saying that it is all too often we hear the phrase: "Let me know if I can help." 

Now picture yourself struggling with depression. Your mind is emotionally in a horrible place as you are feeing things that do not make any sense to you. Do you really think you will take this offer to heart? More than likely, you will do no such thing.

I understand that this phrase is more often than not expressed in a genuine manner; however, it is not enough to simply offer help, especially in the case of a depressed person. 

In a session of the April 2012 General Conference, Elder Rasband stated, "If you come upon a person who is drowning, would you ask if they need help—or would it be better to just jump in and save them from the deepening waters? The offer, while well meaning and often given, “Let me know if I can help” is really no help at all."

How often did Christ turn to the blind, deaf or naked and simply say, 
"Well, let me know if I can help,"?
Christ always took action. 
He saw someone in need and He immediately came to their rescue. 
Those who suffer from depression are not exempt from this whatsoever. In fact depression sufferers may be the ones who need active assistance the very most.

A depressed person never wants to hear, "If you need help let me know." Of course they need help! But what can a person like you offer to them? In their mind, you are simply using a cop-out because the situation is too hard to deal with. Our society as a whole is extremely ill-informed on how to deal with depression. So it is no wonder that at the first thought of someone needing emotional help we cling to any excuse we can to flea the situation!

However, we can change this!! I LOVED reading this article from LDS Living,

Juliet Miller perfectly addresses many issues that depressed people face when in need of help. (You can find her blog here.) This is a MUST read! Even if you don't know anyone who is currently suffering from depression, odds are you either will meet someone at some point who is suffering from this disease or someone you already know suffers and you have no idea.

This week may we take on the challenge to be more Christ-like as we strive to do away with the phrase, "let know if I can help" and instead let our actions speak for themselves as we serve others without having to be told what needs to be done.

Hope you have a wonderful week!

{Hannah}

No comments: