6.02.2014

The Distractions of Satan

As I was getting ready for bed tonight, I started my usual routine: contacts out, face washed, teeth brushed, etc. I hopped in bed and thought to myself, "I definitely deserve some Netflix time." However, as I was about to click next episode, I heard a little voice in me say, "Is this really the best way to spend your time?" 

Here we go again, with my conscience giving me the guilt trip. (Holy Ghost- 1 Hannah- 0) As I thought for a minute, I realized that the Holy Ghost was right! I needed to get off of Netflix and study the scriptures. I started by reading a talk given by Elder Richard G. Scott some years ago entitled, "Do What Is Right." I was inspired by his message and wanted to add my two cents to his wise words. 

If there is anything I've learned about Satan through my years of struggling with depression it is this: Satan works by small and simple things. Then again so does the Lord; but the Lord's small things bring about that which is good and praiseworthy. The small and simple enticements of the Devil bring about much misery and depression. 

Think about how many times even today you had a decision between good, better, and best or maybe even simply bad and good. Satan uses our seemingly small decisions each hour to directly effect our spiritual well-being. If he can get us to make even just one bad decision, then he has already begun leading us farther away from our Heavenly Father. How easy it must be for him to simply get me to watch a TV show instead of studying the words of the prophets! Nothing must make him happier than my clicking "next episode." And quite frankly, I hate that. I want nothing more than to make Satan mad at me! I want him to be frustrated to no end that I refuse to follow his enticements. 

Now I am definitely not implying that I am anywhere near being perfect, and I am also not implying that I'll no longer be watching shows on Netflix (oops!) but what I AM implying is that I want to do everything I can to prove to the Lord and to Satan that I know what's right and I will choose the right, even if the temptation is something as simple as clicking "next episode" or reading my scriptures. I am deciding right now that when these predicaments ensue in my life, I will choose the Lord over everything else. 

{If ya get a chance, go read Elder Scott's talk and ask yourself who you will choose to follow?}

No comments: